I-526 EB-5 Immigrant Investor Application (Temporary Green Card)
Looking at the US immigration law, it is not difficult to see that the vast majority of people who can immigrate to the United States are nothing more than “someone” – through relative immigration, “talented” – through applying for employment, or “rich” – through investment migrant. Among them, investment immigration, also known as “EB-5”, was established by the United States to stimulate the economy through foreign investment and job creation. Since its establishment by the US Congress in 1990, it has been a hot topic that has never diminished.
Foreign investors can create (or retain) certain employment opportunities by investing 900,000/1.8 million US dollars in the United States to establish a company or acquire a difficult company, and apply for a US green card for themselves, their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21.
On November 21, 2019, the investment threshold was increased from US$1 million to US$1.8 million (investment in new commercial enterprises or difficult enterprises), and the investment threshold for Targeted Employment Areas (TEA) was increased from US$500,000 to US$900,000 .
Advantages of EB-5 Investment Immigrants
- Investors are not subject to any restrictions on business background, age, education level and language ability
- Although it is necessary to prove that the source of funds is obtained legally, it does not have to be earned through self-effort, and can be obtained through other legal channels such as inheritance or gift;
- Investors, their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can apply for immigration at the same time;
- Can move to any state in the United States to settle down, work or study, and enjoy the same treatment as American citizens. For example, children can study in various colleges and universities in the United States, are eligible to apply for medical school and law school, can attend public schools, can apply for scholarships, can pay the same tuition fees as state citizens, can legally work while studying, and can enjoy medical security and social benefits. Social welfare such as life security.
Three ways of EB-5 investment immigration
Many customers only know one way to invest in RC Regional Center. In fact, according to the US immigration law, investors can invest in the following three ways:
- Regional Center (RC) Program
The U.S. EB-5 Regional Center (Regional Center, RC) is currently the most common investment immigration project on the market, and it is also the most familiar investment method for investors. Most regional centers only require an investment of 900,000 and do not require investors to manage daily affairs. Also because of this, the risk is greater when approving I-829 to obtain a permanent green card, because the investor cannot directly control the operation of the regional center.
- Invest in new businesses
Investors establish and manage a new business anywhere in the United States. This approach requires investors to truly participate in enterprise management. Directly create 10 job opportunities, that is, new enterprises must actually hire 10 full-time American workers. Indirect job creation through mathematical modeling and analysis is not taken into account. Multiple EB-5 applicants can invest in a new enterprise at the same time, but the amount of investment and the job opportunities created must still meet the requirements of the Immigration Bureau;
This investment method is more suitable for investors who have time and experience in operation and management, or who have local partners in the United States. Investors can freely choose the area of operation according to their own business experience, type of enterprise and consumer groups, and directly participate in the daily operation and management of the enterprise, relatively reducing investment risks, and at the same time expanding the business market in the United States. It is even better if the industry the investor is engaged in is a labor-intensive industry, such as commercial real estate, maintenance industry, transportation and logistics, retail industry, catering industry, etc.
In setting up a new business, the investor is responsible for managing the business. When there is a quota schedule, investors need to wait for a certain period of time before they can go to the United States, but the investment funds are already in place when the I-526 application is submitted. If the investor cannot go to the United States immediately, it is impossible to directly manage the investment, nor can it start follow-up work, such as formulating a feasible business plan, hiring employees to start the business, and so on. Without such certification, it is difficult for investors to prove that they are actively managing the new business. Therefore, a possible strategy is to find someone else to manage or apply for a non-immigrant visa to start the investment business.
- invest in existing business
- Expansion and reorganization of existing enterprises
A foreign investor acquires an existing business and substantially rebuilds or reorganizes the business. The Immigration Bureau stipulates that the capital of the enterprise must be increased by 40 %或使就业人数增加40% (at least 10 employees), and investors must participate in the daily management and decision-making of the enterprise.
- Invest in Difficult Enterprises
Applicants can apply for the EB-5 immigrant visa by acquiring and operating a difficult business.
Difficult business refers to: it has been in the United States for at least two years; in the course of business operation, at least 20% of its net assets have been lost. Foreign investors do not need to provide 10 new job opportunities, but must explain the number of existing employees and guarantee that the number of employees will not be less than the level before the investment.
For decades, our Tsang & Associates law firm has provided investment immigrant visa services to many Kinmen embroidered households, helping foreign investors realize the American dream.
CASE PROCESSING OVERVIEW
Step 1: EB-5 Visa Program Discussion Meeting
Step 2: Prepare application documents
- Collect and sort out customer-related information and documents;
- Fill in relevant forms and write an application letter in English;
- According to the standard application format required by the Immigration Bureau, it is integrated and bound into a volume.
Step 3: Submit I-526 Petition to USCIS
- Send documents to the Immigration Bureau and report the progress of the case to the client;
- Electronic filing for inquiries.
Lawyer fee: XXXX US dollars
Fee statement: This is a standard reference price, excluding government fees and third-party fees; the actual fee will be adjusted due to the different circumstances of each case, please refer to the lawyer’s final appointment contract.
Government Fees: See Form I-526 for the latest EB-5 filing fees .
- Passport of each family member
- Household booklet/copy of household registration
- Marriage certificate
- Child’s birth certificate
- Financial Reports and/or Financial Information
- Personal resume (including investor’s educational background, work, business and investment experience)
- Diploma certificate
- Business license of the company owned by the investor, company advertising brochures, company financial statements, etc.
- Evidence that a new commercial enterprise has been established or is in the process of forming a new commercial enterprise
- Evidence that the investor has invested or is actively investing capital for profit
- Evidence that the source of funds for the investment is legitimate
- The new commercial enterprise will create no fewer than 10 full-time eligible jobs
- If you invest in a difficult enterprise, you should submit the company’s financial difficulty certificate and the certificate that the current number of employees will be maintained for at least two years after the investment
- Evidence that the investor has participated or will participate in the management of the new commercial enterprise through day-to-day management controls or policy rules
- Evidence that the new commercial enterprise is established in a high unemployment area, such as the latest statistics from the Bureau of Management and Budget prove that this area is a specific area that can invest $900,000, or an area where the unemployment rate is higher than the national average unemployment rate of 150%, etc.
Disclaimer: The above is a list of general application materials. For details, please prepare the application materials according to the customized list of documents provided by Tsang & Associates.
I-526 EB-5 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does investing in rural areas only require an investment of 900,000 US dollars to carry out investment immigration?
Yes, rural areas (referring to metropolises or areas other than towns with a population of more than 20,000), or areas with an unemployment rate of at least 150% of the national average unemployment rate are designated employment areas, and only need to invest $900,000.
When submitting an investment application, must the investment be completed?
no. When submitting an application, it is possible to apply even if the required investment amount is not reached, but at the time of the interview, it is necessary to prove that the required funds have been invested.
Do I need to prove that 10 jobs have been created when applying for investment immigration?
Instead of proving that 10 jobs have been created, 10 jobs will be created for U.S. citizens or permanent residents within two years.
Can I become a formal permanent resident after the investor immigration application is approved?
There is also a consulate interview (the investor is outside the United States) or a step of adjusting status (the investor is in the United States). This step is only to get a conditional green card, which must be completed within 90 days before the two-year conditional status expires. Apply to remove the conditional form in order to become an official permanent resident.
When several people invest together, do they only need to add up to 1.8 million?
No, each investor who wants to apply for investment immigration must contribute 1.8 million (or invest 900,000 in a specific employment area) US dollars.
SAMPLES & TEMPLATES
DS-5540/DS-260 National Visa Center (NVC) and embassy interview procedures
I-485 Adjustment of Status (AOS) Application
I-131 Application for Advance Departure (AP)
I-765 Employment Authorization (EAD) Application
I-829 EB-5 Immigrant Investor Application to Remove Conditional Status (Formal Green Card)
I-129 L-1A Employment Visa Application for Manager or Director of a Multinational Corporation
I-129 H-1B Employment Visa Application for Professional Skilled Workers
I-129 L-1B Employment Visa Application for Multinational Technician
DS-160 E-1 Treaty Trader Visa Application
DS-160 E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Application
Application for Extension of Immigrant Interview Date
DS-260 Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) – Application for Age Freeze until Child Turns 21
Application for Change of Beneficiary
I-824 Application for Reissue Approval Notice (I-797)
SCHEDULE A SESSION
Please call or email to schedule a one-hour attorney consultation.
You can pay the $250 consultation fee via the link in the phone or email.
If you would like a quick chat with our team before a formal consultation, please use the calendar on the right to schedule a 10-minute call.