Our website is currently being remodeled. Thank you for visiting us while we continue to improve!


The F2A visa allows a Lawful Permanent Resident to petition and bring their spouse or unmarried children, under 21 years old to the U.S, and allows the foreign spouse or child to subsequently obtain their lawful permanent residence or “green-card.” While there is a limit to the number of Visas issued under this category, once the F2A Visa is approved, it allows the applicant(s) / beneficiary(s) to study, travel and live in the U.S.

The F2A visa category is considered a family “preference immigrant category” under the second preference which means that there is a waiting period and limit to the number of visas issued each year, and you must wait until your priority date becomes current before you apply. This waiting period depends on the immigrants’ country of birth.

The F2A Visa requires an extended waiting period due to the volume of applicants. At Tsang & Associates, we have a long history of helping families apply for this Visa and expeditiously file the petition to avoid unnecessary delays or prolonged waiting periods.



Our fee structure is unique to us as we strive to tailor our services for each client individually. We adapt price standards that are capable of fluctuating for each client depending on their unique needs. Clients may retain us for one or all of the above steps/services.

Our typical fee for a standard F2A petition is $1,500 , not including government fees and third-party expenses. We are happy to customize a proposal for yours during a consultation. Please see below for more information.



Step 1: Strategy Session for the F-2A Visa

This is the most crucial step for your entire F2A Visa. We will review all of the supporting documents to create a strategy, a customized checklist, and a timeline to serve as the guiding foundation for the entire case preparation.

Step 2: Prepare and Submit the F-2A Visa Application along with the I-130 Application to USCIS

Our team will gather, complete, package, and ensure all the documents provided support your case to enhance your chances of getting approved.

Step 3: Await Approval of the I-130 Petition

Once the I-130 Petition is approved by USCIS, the case will be subsequently be transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.

Step 4: Await the priority date to apply and Submit the Required Documentation to the National Visa Center (NVC)

The F-2A visa is considered as a family-sponsored preference category visa, which means there will be a waiting period due to the limited number of visas that are expedited per year. Keep in mind that the preference category of your case should be available to apply, according to the NVC Visa Bulletin. Our team will explain to you how to monitor your case and check the availability to apply. Once the priority date becomes available, we will guide you throughout this process and ensure that the NVC has all the documentation needed to continue to process your case in a timely manner.



Checklist of Required Evidence

In general, the following documents are required:

  • Valid passport
  • Affidavit of support from the petitioner
  • F4 visa application
  • Two U.S. passport-approved photographs
  • Completed medical examination and vaccination forms
  • Civil documents
  • Birth certificate or adoption certificate
  • Any court records
  • Certified copy of marriage certificate
  • Military records, if any
  • A photocopy of the biographic information page in their passport
  • Police certificates for every country that they have lived in

The National Visa Center will inform you about any required vaccinations or medical records. A licensed doctor must complete the medical examination and give them the required vaccines. A list of necessary vaccinations is available on the U.S. Department of State’s website.


Who can apply for the F-2 Visa?

Foreign nationals can’t apply for an F2a visa directly. Instead, the permanent resident must file a petition on behalf of their spouse or children to come to the U.S.

To petition on behalf of your spouse or children, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • reside in the U.S. and have a permanent registered address in the country

Your spouse or children must be able to provide all the necessary documents and must not be found ineligible.

There are multiple grounds of inadmissibility under U.S. immigration law. The major categories of inadmissibility include the following:

  • Health and medical reasons
  • Criminal convictions
  • National security issues
  • Likelihood to become a public charge
  • Fraud or misrepresentation
  • Prior removals or unlawful presence
  • Miscellaneous grounds

      Filing Fee

      The updated filing fee for F-2 can be found here.




      Attorney Brief:  [coming soon] We will provide an attorney brief sample for the I-130 petition.


      Cover Letter: [coming soon] We will also provide a cover letter sample for the I-130 petition.


      Sample Request for Evidence: [coming soon] Requests for evidence can be used to strengthen the case.


      Forms: Here is a list of the forms that are needed by USCIS


      Sample Checklist: [coming soon] We look at the client’s unique situation and create customized checklists to strengthen their cases.


      USCIS Fee Calculator: This is to help calculate how much the filing fee will be.


      USCIS Mailing Address: This address is where it is mailed to USCIS.


      USCIS Processing Timetable: This will help you figure out how long it will take to process.


      ASC Field Offices: Listed are the addresses of the field offices for the bio-metrics.



      How long is the F-2A visa application process?

      The processing time for an F2a visa petition and application can take a long time due to the annual cap on the number of visas issued.

      The processing time for an F2a visa petition and application can range from 1 – 10 years due to the annual cap on the number of visas issued.

      What is the application cap for F-2A visas?

      There are only 114,200 F2 visas available each year due to a cap. Seventy-seven percent of these visas are designated for F-2A visas. The remaining 23% are for F-2B visas.

      The excess number of petitions are rolled over to subsequent years in chronological order until their priority dates become current. The U.S. Department of State publishes the cut-off dates for priority dates each month in the visa bulletin.

      What happens when a permanent resident petitioner becomes a naturalized citizen?

      In some cases, a long term permanent resident petitioning on behalf of their spouse and children might become a naturalized U.S. citizen during the process.

      If this occurs in your case, your family should contact USCIS and the embassy in their country. They are now eligible for an immediate relative visa, which doesn’t have a cap on the number of applications accepted each year. This may accelerate the processing time for your visa.

      What are the benefits of F-2A Visa holder?

      An F-2A visa holder may:

      • be authorized to live and work in the U.S. without having to secure an employment authorization document from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
      • apply for a Social Security number and use that to get a job
      • enroll in a school or a university to further their education


      Call or email us to set up your 1-hour consultation. Easily pay the $250 consultation fee over the phone or through our email link. If you would like to have a quick chat with our team before setting up the consultation, feel free to use the calendar on the right to book your 10 minute call.