LEGAL NAME CHANGE
A legal name change is a great way to move forward with a new identity whether it is for social, ideological, or personal reasons. However, going through the court to change your name legally can be complicated. With the knowledge and experience of Tsang & Associates, we can help make this process is easy for you. Our attorneys will assess your circumstances and assist you in preparing all of the necessary paperwork to file for your name change and officially change your name.
Our fee structure is unique to us as we strive to tailor our services for each client individually. We adapt price standards that are capable of fluctuating for each client. Clients may retain us for one or all of the below steps/services.
We are happy to customize a proposal for you during a consultation. Please see the below information.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
At Tsang & Associates, we treat each client like a well-formed partnership and involve you in every step of the process. When processing a legal name change, we work together with you until you are satisfied with our services. By the end of our partnership, our goal is not only to help you find success but also to help you become an expert in your own case.
CASE PROCESSING OVERVIEW
Step 1: Strategy Session to Change Your Name
This is the most crucial step in order to change your name from a legal perspective. We will review all of the supporting documents to create a strategy, a customized checklist, and a timeline to serve as the guiding foundation for the entire case preparation.
Step 2: Filing Petition
Our team at Tsang & Associates will file your petition at court so you can officially change your name. During this step, we will make copies required by the court and take it to the filing clerk. We will also make the required payments and receive a hearing date assigned.
Step 3: Notifying Agencies
After your name is changed, you must notify agencies that dealt with your formal name of your new name. We will list the agencies at the bottom of this page.
- Taking a spouse’s name
- Changing to mother’s maiden name
- Taking the natural father’s name
- Name that better suits the applicant
- Change to professional identity
- The applicant has a cumbersome name
- The applicant desires to adopt an Americanized name
Checklist of Documents
- All applications shall be made to the superior court of the county where the person whose name is proposed to be changed resides;
- Anyone can switch to any name with a few exceptions:
- The applicant cannot change their name for fraudulent purposes;
- The applicant cannot change their name to benefit financially;
- The applicant cannot change their name to evade law enforcement;
- The applicant cannot change to fictitious names that are protected by copyright, such as Harry Potter.
List of Agencies to Contact After You Change Your Name
- Social Security Administration
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Passport Agency
- Post Office
- Voter Registration
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Credit Card companies (or issuers)
- Insurance companies
- State Tax Authority
- Retirement plans
- County Clerk
SCHEDULE A SESSION
Call or email us to set up your 1-hour consultation. Easily pay the $250 consultation fee over the phone or through our email link. If you would like to have a quick chat with our team before setting up the consultation, feel free to use the calendar on the right to book your 10 minute call.
In addition to helping you change your name, we also specialize in other areas of family counsel. At Tsang & Associates, we treat you like family to ensure your family gets the full legal support needed. Check out our comprehensive services down below.
IT’S LIKE HAVING A LAWYER IN THE FAMILY
- As a family-owned law firm, we pride ourselves on taking care of our clients as if they are family. As your family counsel, we offer you the same support we provide our family, whether it is legal representation or problem-solving.
- A lawyer in the family provides you the comfort to pursue any endeavors and face any challenges when they arise.
HOW IT WORKS
Just like your bank account, you maintain $5,000 fully-refundable deposit in your own private Escrow Account. The money you deposit will go towards your billing services and you are able to take out the money anytime. If a problem arises, we assist and guide you if you have the $1,500 amount in your Escrow account. Also, when you have a family counsel with us, we provide exclusive service and fee deductions on additional legal services you might be interested in.
Situations happen. To protect your family from the negative and long term effects of adversaries, a family counsel can be tremendously beneficial and valuable. From real estate planning to responding to indentity theft, we are here to mitigate and prevent any lasting damages to the welfare of your family.
Planning ahead helps you build a life of stability and success.
If a problem arises, you have a trusted attorney you can rely on.
Leave a legacy for your children and pave the pathway for their success